Community Development Work in Jonnagiri Project area
Jonnagiri project is one of the key gold projects of Geomysore Services (India) Pvt Ltd (GMSI). A Mining Lease was granted by the State Govt. of Andhra Pradesh covering an area of 597.82 hectares (about 6 sq km). GMSI has been carrying out drilling and other mining related work for the last two years.
Jonnagiri project is located in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh, which is one of the most under developed regions of the state. Jonnagiri, Pagdiroy and Bolavanipalle are the villages surrounding the mining lease area. In general, the region experiences little or no rain fall and faces severe shortage of water for both drinking and agricultural purposes. The drinking problem becomes more acute during summer months. It is estimated that the general water consumption in the area is about 25-30 lts/pd, which is way below the urban average of 135 lts/pd. Further, the area also suffers from basic infrastructure, eg., roads and schools, and sanitation.
Geomysore has taken up number of community development programmes as a part of the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in the mining lease area. These programmes include
1. Drilled number of bore wells for drinking water purposes
2. Laid water pipelines for proper supply of the water
3. Provided drinking water to Jonnagiri and Pagadiroy villages through tankers during summer months
4. Constructed compound wall to the schools in Jonnagiri and Pagidiroy
5. Supplying drinking water to the school children
6. Provided school teachers to the schools
7. Employed a team of workers to clean village drains and surroundings to improve sanitation
8. Repaired and improved the village roads
9. Conducted a free medical camp in Pagidiroy
10. Supported various sports activities
These programmes have following outcome
1. Permanent water supply to part of the Jonnagiri village has been achieved
2. Drinking water crisis in the summer months has been controlled to a large extent
3. General sanitation in the villages is improved
4. 300 people, who were identified with eye problems, were operated in Kurnool
These community development programmes of GMSI are widely appreciated by local people and press.